Catasauqua Residences


By 1900, Catasauqua had become the home of many successful industrialists involved in iron smelting, foundries, metal working, cement production, silk and velvet mills, etc.  It was the penchant of these successful men to build pretentious homes that signified their wealth. Many of these magnificent homes still stand in Catasauqua, although almost all have been converted to apartment houses -- and appurtenances such as garages and smaller homes have been constructed on their magnificent grounds.


In April 1984 this area of Catasauqua was nominated for the National Register of Historic Places. A text version of this document, with minor modifications, is available here.


Below is a collection of photographs, many from the 1900 time period, which display the grandeur that composed the residential portion of the town in that era.  Many of the early photographs are found in the real estate brochure Greater Catasauqua, published by the Lackawanna Land Co., ca. 1903.


Street map of Catasauqua showing the area occupied by historic homes.


Fifth Street

C. R. Horn House – 5th & Walnut

Fifth St. on left looking toward North Catasauqua.  Photo from Greater Catasauqua.

Charles Robert Horn was a business man involved in banking, real estate and fabrics. He was burgess of Catasauqua from 1894 – 1897. He married Blanche Thomas, granddaughter of Hopkin Thomas. House built in 1880.

5th & Walnut, Horn house at corner. Walnut looking east on the right. Photo from Lambert & Reinhard, 1914.



Frank J. Fatzinger House – 5Th & Walnut, East side

Facing the C. R. Horn house. Photo from Walking Tour

Frank Fatzinger was a partner in the F. W. Wint & Co. lumber yard. House built in 1914.



H. J. Seaman House – 5th & Pine

Pine Street on left, Fifth St. on right. Photo from Greater Catasauqua.


Henry J. Seaman, originally a chemist at the Crane Iron Works, became General Manager of the Atlas Portland Cement Co. of Northampton – one of the largest cement companies in the world at that time.  The house was built in 1898.

Postcard, 5th & Pine– looking west down Pine Street.


Seaman House – recent photo (ca. 2000)


William R. Thomas Jr.  5th & Pine Sts.  (502 Pine St.)


Postcard 5th & Pine – 5th looking north on left

Current view – 502 Pine St. – photo from Walking Tour


William R. (Butch) Thomas was a grandson of Hopkin Thomas. He was President and General Manager of the Wahnetah Silk Mill. This house built in 1905 by George Davies Jr., son of George Davies, and the Thomas moved in prior to 1910.



George Dery House – 520 Fifth St.

Photo from Greater Catasauqua.


D. George Dery established the Dery Silk Mill in Catasauqua and had interests in other silk mills in the northeast.  Extensive gardens and green houses were part of the site. Originally built in 1901, the house was greatly expanded in 1917.

Photo from Lambert & Reinhard, 1914.


Dery house decorated for Old Home Week, 1914. Photo from Catasauqua & North Catasauqua, Martha Capwell Fox.


The Dery house was expanded in 1917. Pine St. on right. Courtesy Fox, Catasauqua & North Catasauqua


5th St. in front. The house now contained a ballroom, art gallery and a swimming pool.  Burkhart & Gemmel, 1992


Dery House – Recent photo – ca. 2000




Fourth Street


William Weir McKee House – 4th & Pine (605 4th St.)

Photo from Greater Catasauqua.

William W. McKee was President of the McKee Fuller Co., manufacturers of railroad car, wheels and axles. He was married to Ruth Thomas, granddaughter of Hopkin Thomas. The house was a wedding gift from RuthÕs father, James Thomas who lived at 545 Fourth St. House built 1891.


McKee House ca. 1950

McKee house undergoing restoration, ca. 2004



James Thomas Residence – 4th & Pine (545 4th St.)

545 4th St. Photo from Greater Catasauqua.

James Thomas was President of the Davies & Thomas Co. – a large foundry located in Catasauqua. James was the son of Hopkin Thomas. He was also president of the Wahneta Silk Company and was involved in numerous other business activities. The estate covered half the block between Pine and Bridge Sts  - eastern side.  The house was built in 1901 - James and family moved from Second and Linden Sts. to thier new house on 9/17/1901.. Thomas died in 1906 at which time wife Mary Ann had a smaller house built at 510 Walnut St.

545 4th in Lambert & Reinhard, 1914. Residence identified as that of Grace Williams Koehler. Later it was owned by Pelham and Grace Harding – Source 1929-30 Catasauqua City Directory.


Postcard ca 1900. 545 4th is on the left – view is from Pine St. toward Bridge St.

Somewhat later postcard – utility poles have been erected.



 E. D. Boyer & F. M. Horn Residences – 4th & Pine Sts.

Southwest corner of 4th & Pine Sts.  Photo from Greater Catasauqua.


Frank Horn was President of the National Bank of Catasauqua; Edward Boyer was a pharmacist. The house was built by John Williams for his two daughters – spouses of Horn and Boyer – in the year 1885.


Southwest corner of 4th & Pine Sts., but looking north. Photo from Lambert & Reinhard, 1914.

Recent view -  Photo from Walking Tour




John T. Williams, Jr. Residence – 540 Fourth St.

#540 4th St. Photo ca. 2010

John T. Williams was the son of John Williams Sr. of Bridge St. who built this house and the neighboring double house at 4th & Pine for his children.  The residence remained in the Williams family until purchased by Ralph and Mame Weaver in 1927. The Weaver ownership lasted until the late 1950s.



Joseph Sketchley Elverson Residence –  533 Fourth St.

                                  No early photo is available. Pen & ink sketch from Catasauqua, North Catasauqua, A Profile of the Burroughs

Joseph Elverson was a chemist with the Lehigh Car Wheel and Axle Works. The house was built by James Fuller Jr., for his daughter, Maude, ElversonÕs spouse. Fuller and his wife Catherine Maria Thomas, Hopkin ThomasÕ daughter, lived next door in an even more pretentious home—see below.

Elverson House – recent photo ca. 2008



Seaman – Chapman House -  534 Fourth St.

Photo from Walking Tour

Originally built by Harry Seaman, Sr., in 1883, this house was occupied by Charles W. Chapman and heirs. Chapman was superintendent of the Catasauqua and Foglesville railroad from 1867 until his death in 1904.



Byron Barton Residence – 527 Fourth St.

Photo from Walking Tour

Dr. Byron Barton and wife Marion A. (nee) Evans had this house built in 1937. Dr. Barton was the local dentist and practiced in Catasauqua after World War I.


James W. Fuller, Jr. Residence – 4th & Bridge Sts.

Postcard view. Residence located on east side of 4th.


James W. Fuller, Jr. was an organizer of the Lehigh Car Wheel & Axle Works, President of the Catasauqua Manufacturing Co., and Vice President of the Empire Steel and Iron Company. His wife, Kate Thomas, was Hopkin ThomasÕ daughter. The home was destroyed by fire in the early-mid 1900s.

Kate M. Fuller Residence. Photo from Lambert & Reinhard, 1914

Photo from Walking Tour


A. Newton Bugbee Residence - 515 Fourth St.

Photo from Walking Tour

 A. Newton Bugbee, a local construction engineer, built this home in 1949 for his second wife, Dorothy.  NewtÕs first wife was Helen Horn and they lived at the C. R. Horn house at 5th & Walnut. NewtÕs son, Newt, Jr., also a construction engineer lived at 3rd and Pine.




Owen Fatzinger Residence – Corner 4th & Bridge Sts.

Fourth St. on right – looking toward Pine St.


Owen Fatzinger, treasurer of the F. W. Wint Lumber Company had this house built in 1901. It is said to contain woodwork made from valued species of wood.

Postcard view ca. 1906 – Fatzinger house on left.

Recent photo – ca. 2007


Bridge Street



James W. Fuller, III Residence -  Bridge St. & Howertown Ave.

Photo from Lambert & Reinhard, 1914,  Bridge St. on right.  4th St. terminates at Bridge, just to the right of the photo. View is looking south.


James Fuller, III, known as Colonel Fuller, became sole owner of the McKee Fuller Co, after the death of the McKee principals and of his father, James Fuller, Jr. The company became known as the Fuller Company and was extremely prosperous over the past century. This yellow brick house was torn down in the late 1900s.


John Williams Residence – 325 Bridge St., Opposite 4th.

Illustration from 1876 Atlas of Lehigh County


Photo from Walking Tour

John Williams was connected with many Catasauqua enterprises - - the Catasauqua Manufacturing Co,. the C&F RR., the Catasauqua Gas Co., and the Catasauqua National Bank. The house was built in 1870, but is no longer standing.



H. Morley Holton Residence – 326 Bridge St.

Photo from Walking Tour

Morley Holton was plant manager at the Bryden Horseshoe Works. The house was built in 1934.




Alexander Reed Boyd Residence -  317 Bridge St. (Corner of Crane and Bridge Sts.)

Photo from Walking Tour

Alexander Boyd was connected to the Crane Iron Company. The house was built before 1873. The property was sold to William R. Thomas, son of Hopkin in the 1891 – 1989 time period.


Charles N. Ulrich Residence – 306 Bridge St. (Above the Library)

Photo from Walking Tour

Charles Ulrich followed his fatherÓs footsteps and was a lawyer in town. The house was built in 1885. Prior to that this site was the home of Col. Melchior Horn, whose son married Hopkin ThomasÕs grandaughter, Blanche Thomas.




Kostenbader Residence -  303 Bridge St.

Photo from Walking Tour

Herman A. Kostenbader ran a brewery business in town. The house was built in 1869.




Orange Fuller Residence – 235 Bridge St.

Photo from Walking Tour

A member of the very successful Fuller family, Orange Fuller had this house built in 1865.


Daniel Yoder Residence – 230 Bridge St.

Photo from Walking Tour

Daniel Yoder, a physician, had this house built in 1873. It is across Bridge St. from the Orange Fuller house. Dr. Yoder was married to Amanda E. Glace.



Oscar Stine Residence – 231 Bridge St.

Photo from Walking Tour

The Stine residence, built in 1901, is said to have been a gift from Mrs Addie StineÕs father, Orange Fuller, who lived in the adjoining house.



Dr. James L. Horbeck Residence – 225 Bridge St.

Photo from Walking Tour

Dr Jim Hornbeck was a well-known doctor in Catasauqua. He was known for using a horse and buggy to make his rounds. He married Helen Thomas, a daughter of James Thomas and granddaughter of Hopkin Thomas. The house was built in 1880.



Third Street


Leonard Peckitt Residence – 3rd & Walnut

Northwest corner – 3rd & Walnut.  Postcard photo.


Leonard Peckitt was President of the Crane Iron Works ca. 1900 when this photo was taken. His residence featured landscaping and plantings. In later years the building became BurkholderÕs Funeral Home , now Brubakers.


Photo of the Peckitt residence from Lambert & Reinhard, 1914.


Hopkin Thomas Residence – 3rd & Walnut

Walnut St. looking east. Third St. is beyond house. Photo from Catasauqua & North Catasauqua, Martha Capwell Fox.


Hopkin Thomas was Master Mechanic at the Crane Iron Works, 1853 – 1870. Thomas, the subject of our story, was focused on transferring his wealth of engineering knowledge on to his charges at the Crane, as opposed to living in pretentious quarters.


Edwin Thomas Residence – 3rd & Pine

Southeast corner – 3rd & Walnut.  Photo from Greater Catasauqua


Edwin Thomas, son of Samuel and grandson of David Thomas, like his forbears, was involved in the iron business – both in Hokendauqua and in Thomas, Alabama. This is a rare photo of the 3rd & Pine residence. The house no longer stands – it was supplanted by what is referred to as the Durham house, occupied until 2015 by the Bugbee (Newt and Monica) family.



Daniel Milson Residence – 533 Third St. (Corner of Strawberry Alley)

Photo from Walking Tour

The Milson Residence, built in 1885, was believed to be the home of Dr. Charles Edward Milson. His daughters, Gertrude A. and Ruth D. lived there for their entire lives.



Cain Semmel Residence – 527 Third St.

Photo from Walking Tour

Mr. Semmel was in the building business; the house was erected in 1874. Currently occupied by author and historian Martha Capwell Fox.


Second Street

George Holton Residence – 2nd & Pine

Northwest corner, 2nd & Pine; Pine St in front.   Photo from M. C. Fox, Catasauqua & North Catasauqua.


Originally the home of Oliver Williams, this residence was occupied at the turn of the  century  by son-in-law George Holton, who succeeded Williams as an officer of the Bryden Horseshoe upon Williams death.

2nd & Pine. Residence identified as Jessica Williams Holton – Lambert & Reinhard, 1914.


Holton home - postcard view



David Thomas Residence – 2nd & Pine

2nd & Pine, SE corner – Pine St. on left. Drawing from M. C. Fox, Catasauqua & North Catasauqua.


David ThomasÕ second home – built on 1856. A large frame house, later enclosed by stone. No photos of this original 2nd & Pine estate are known to exist.

Another sketch of early 2nd & Pine Sts.


2nd & Pine after reconstruction – ca. 1900 Photo from Greater Catasauqua

2nd & Pine identified as the Edwin Thomas Residence – Lambert & Reinhard, 1914.


Postcard view



Return to Industries and Residences Index


About The Hopkin Thomas Project


Rev. May 2015